Currently there are no open opportunities for employment.
The City of Manzanita is seeking a City Manager
APPLY BY FEBRUARY 26, 2021
Manzanita is a small residential community located on the beautiful Oregon coast 21 miles south of Seaside and 25 miles north of Tillamook. The city is home to about 645 year-round residents, and about three quarters of the homes in the city are second homes. A small commercial area serves residents, second homeowners and visitors. The community is bordered by Neahkahnie Mountain on the north and Nehalem Bay State Park on the south.
THE CITY ORGANIZATION
Manzanita was incorporated in 1946 and is governed under a Council-Manager form of government. The Mayor and four Councilors make up the City Council, which exercises policy- making and legislative authority and is responsible for legislation, adopting the budget, appointing committees, and hiring the City Manager. The Mayor serves a two-year term and is a member of the City Council. Councilors serve for four years, with three of the five councilors’ terms expiring in each biennial election. The City Manager and staff are responsible for carrying out the day-to-day operations of Manzanita.
The City provides police, parks, water utility, street maintenance, storm drainage maintenance, land use planning, building inspection, municipal court, and administration services. Fire protection services and wastewater services are provided by regional agencies. The City operates with a regular staff of 13.
CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES
The Manzanita City Council has set goals to address the following:
- Implement the plan to relocate City Hall and related city services to the Underhill Plaza Property.
- Finalize and approve an emergency preparedness plan that prepares the City to proactively respond to major catastrophic events.
- Complete a 5-year capital improvement/infrastructure plan that is tied to the Annual City Budget.
- Create a shared vision for the Manzanita Community including those areas in the Urban Growth Boundary.
THE CITY MANAGER POSITION
The City of Manzanita City Council is seeking a City Manager who embraces the values of honesty, integrity and transparency and will model these values while working with the City Council, staff, and the community.
The ideal candidate possesses the following characteristics: Is collaborative as well as a team builder; Is flexible and open to the ideas of others; Ensures the effective and efficient implementation of Council policy direction; Is accessible to Council members, residents, second homeowners and visitors to listen to issues and develop solutions where possible; Is well grounded in the practices and principles of human resource management, fiscal management, budget development, and staff leadership; Is an outstanding communicator with elected officials, staff, and the public; Is able to translate complex ideas into language that lay people can understand; Is articulate and writes well; Keeps the Council informed of issues, trends and matters of City-wide interest and other matters that may rise to the Council’s level of attention; Is an analytical and a strategic thinker and is proactive in identifying problems before they become issues; Thinks flexibly and strategically, but acts decisively to achieve results; Understands the balance between dealing with growth and maintaining a small village atmosphere; Has a calm demeanor under pressure and deals respectfully with Councilors, staff and the public at all times; and, Embraces leading technology that will enhance office and City policy as Manzanita proceeds into the future.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, planning, or related areas; and five years administrative/management experience, including at least three years of supervisory experience; OR any satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience which ensures the ability to perform the essential functions of the position. A master’s degree in public administration is preferred.
The starting salary range is $76,812-$93,372, the actual salary will depend on qualifications and experience. The excellent benefits package includes medical, dental and vision coverage (City pays 94% of the premium cost). The City is part of the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System and the City picks up the employee contribution to the system. The City also offers Management Leave which will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
Residency within the City limits is not required, but the selected candidate should at least plan to live nearby.
Under Oregon Public Records law, all applications are subject to disclosure upon receipt. However, the City does not expect any records requests until the finalists are named. Finalists for this position will be subject to a comprehensive background check.
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide a cover letter, completed City application form, resume and response to the supplemental questions. The application package is available on the City website https://ci.manzanita.or.us. The application must be emailed, faxed, or mailed so that it reaches the City by 4:00 pm on Friday, February 26, 2021. Late applications will not be considered. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org OR fax to 1-503-368-4145 OR mail to City of Manzanita, City Manager Recruitment, P.O. Box 129, Manzanita, OR 97130.
After the closing date of February 26, 2021, applications will be reviewed by members of the City Council. The Council will narrow the field and background checks will be performed on these finalists. Preliminary interviews are tentatively scheduled for March 15-17, 2021. Final interviews are anticipated to be March 29-31, 2021. The anticipated start date for the new City Manager is May 1, 2021. The current Interim City Manager, (who is not a candidate for the permanent position), will keep candidates informed of their status as the process proceeds.
Specific questions may be directed to Interim City Manager John Kunkel at
503-368-5343 or email@example.com
The City of Manzanita is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Full Time Utility Worker
Manzanita Public Works Department
April 9, 2021
The City of Manzanita Public Works Department is seeking a Full time Utility Worker to join our team.
The Utility Worker maintains, repairs, and operates public works facilities including parks, buildings, water distribution system, storm drainage system, and street system. Performs vehicle and shop maintenance.
Typical Duties/Examples of Work
- Performs maintenance and clean-up of city buildings and properties. Empties trash and recycling receptacles, cleans bathrooms, and maintains dog waste stations.
- Maintains grounds and landscapes including mowing, weeding, pruning, trimming, irrigating, and planting.
- Repairs and maintains street and stormwater systems including patching roads, sweeping streets, maintaining rights-of-way, cleaning storm drains and catch basins, and maintaining street signs.
- Performs light construction and concrete work as needed. Performs set up and preparation tasks for special events throughout the year.
- Cleans beach access ramp.
- Performs light maintenance and repair of city vehicles and equipment, as assigned.
- Operates and maintains light, medium, and heavy-duty equipment and trucks appropriate to the construction, maintenance, and repair of City infrastructure, systems, and facilities to which assigned.
- Follows all safety rules and procedures for work areas.
- Maintains effective and cooperative working relationships with those encountered in the performance of duties including employees, elected officials, other organizations, and the public.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Repairs and maintains water distribution system including repairing leaks, reading water meters, performing meter change outs, conducting coliform testing, and checking wells.
Why join the City of Manzanita?
The City of Manzanita is committed to offering benefits such as paid vacation, paid sick, and participates in PERS, the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System and Medical coverage. Salary range is $2,905 – $3,3531.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Applicant must have a High School Diploma, or equivalent;
- OR any satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience which ensures
the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Obtain a Oregon Water Distribution 1 certification within 18 months of hire.
- A valid Oregon driver’s license and proof of an acceptable driving record are required.
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance principles, practices, tools and materials for maintaining and repairing assigned City facilities and equipment.
- Skilled in the operation and maintenance of equipment and tools used in the course of work.
- Basic knowledge of general office procedures and practices; business English, spelling, and punctuation; and personal computer applications in a Windows environment.
- Basic computer skills, preferably in Microsoft Office products.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions; complete assigned tasks with little functional oversight; and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those encountered in the course of work.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment criminal background check and drug and alcohol screening.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position.
- Position Posted: 1/15/21
- Applications Period Close: 2/1/21 at 11:59am
- Selection Process Begins: Week of 2/3/21
Applicants must submit a résumé and application of employment to the City of Manzanita:
Manzanita Public Works
1090 Oak St.
Manzanita, Or 97130
City of Manzanita
P.O. Box 129
Manzanita, OR 97130
Applications for this position will not be accepted no later than 11:59 am, on Monday, February 1st 2021. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Director of Manzanita Public Works Dept.
Municipal Court & Water Utility Clerk
The City Of Manzanita
The City of Manzanita is seeking a
Municipal Court & Water Utility Clerk to join our team.
MUNICIPAL COURT AND WATER UTILITY CLERK JOB DESCRIPTION:
General clerical support position for the Manzanita Municipal Court and Manzanita Water Department.
Typical duties include processing citations for review by Municipal Judge, preparing follow-up correspondence and record keeping after adjudication, accepting and processing utility, court and miscellaneous payments, processing water accounts and address updates, and answering customer questions and requests for service.
Minimum of high school diploma and two years of general office/customer service experience or equivalent. Knowledge of office and record keeping procedures and methods, accounting methods, and word processing and accounting software. Previous experience in a public safety or court environment desirable.
This is an independent contract position, with a salary of $2,976 per month.
Position is temporary from mid-August 2020 to mid-January 2021.
Send cover letter, resume, and completed City application form to:
Municipal Court and Water Utility Clerk Recruitment,
City of Manzanita
P.O. Box 129
Manzanita, OR 97130
or drop it off to City Hall at 167 S. 5th.
Applications can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application packet is available on the City’s website www.ci.manzanita.or.us/employment.
Closing date: 4:00 pm, Friday, July 31, 2020